Re: Logos proposal

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 00:58:19 -0500

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to make a logo.
I like the middle one very much, and perhaps if you could plot it in
polar coordinates so that it looks even more O-like, it would be nice.

On 8 June 2010 16:27, Fotios Kasolis <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Back of the envelope calculations" is a good property for a human
> but has a pointer to bad accuracy/guess etc, so characterizing a
> product by sth that links to a "guess", or sth "close to a solution"
> is not good promotion for software that should be accurate and
> robust!

But... this is all that GNU Octave does! Approximations! Very good
approximations, like its namesake! And good approximations usually
regarded as an admirable skill. Wikipedia says that
back-of-the-envelope calculations are often associated with the
eminent physicist Enrico Fermi, for example.

Nevertheless, I do think it's going to be very difficult to convey
that idea in a logo. A mesh is one of the best graphical
representations of an approximation and is popular not only with
Matlab's logo. An alternative might be to pixelise part of the logo,
maybe the edges fade away into vanishing pixels. Scilab's logo looks
something like that.

I think your logos can already be used as they are, though. They're
already very attractive.