Re: Bug tracker for Octave Forge

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Bug tracker for Octave Forge
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:13:43 -0700

tor, 10 06 2010 kl. 14:30 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:

> | > That was generally my feeling.  Although it's off-putting, I think we need
> | > to flag these bugs using the Octave-Forge tag; write a quick response
> | > saying that the problem function is in Octave Forge, not Octave; link to a
> | > location to report Octave Forge bugs; and put the bug in a queue to be
> | > closed in a few weeks.
> |
> | The problem with this approach is that most people simply will not
> | report the bug to Octave-Forge. It is at least rare that Octave-Forge
> | gets bug reports after users have been told to report their bug
> | elsewhere.
>
> So what are we supposed to do with the bug reports for packages?

Short answer: I don't know :-(

> Could we just do the following:
>
>   set the status to "Octave Forge"
>
>   add address@hidden to the mail notification CC
>   list for the bug report

Could this be done only when the status is set to "Octave Forge"? It
would be a problem if every bug report got send to the Octave Forge
list.

> How would we know when to close the report in the Octave tracker?
> Should we just do that immediately, and assume that our job is done
> once we have notified the octave-dev list?

I can't think of a better option, though I'm not really a fan of this
either :-(

My impression is that from a users point of view, the distinction
between Octave and Octave Forge is artificial. As such, I honestly think
the two projects should move closer together, i.e. share bug tracker,
web page and so forth.

Soren