Re: rename typeinfo

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: rename typeinfo
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:15:26 +0200

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM, David Grundberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello maintainers,
>
> I've read at least 3 messages on octave-help confusing 'typeinfo' and
> 'class'.  I've helped these people, but I'm afraid there are others
> incorrectly using typeinfo where they ought to use class.  The
> documentation could be improved for typeinfo, but I think renaming it to
> something else would be even better.  I suggest that we put a underscore
> or something to it.  Like __typeinfo__.
>
> Grundberg

I believe the one and only reason why some users become confused is
that typeinfo is the first function mentioned in the "data types"
section of the manual and it says "returns the type of expression". It
should be stressed that this is Octave's internal type, not to be
confused with class. Maybe it needs not be in the manual at all?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer