TeX/LaTeX annotation of plots

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: TeX/LaTeX annotation of plots
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:56:15 -0700

I was looking around for ways to provide better annotation of
Octave plots.  I found Scribus:  http://www.scribus.net/

This is open source software which provides, among other things,
editing of PDF files.  It provides the capability of entering
TeX/LaTeX  strings, processing them through pdftex, and displaying
them wherever you want on the plot.  The result can be saved
as PDF.

I tried a few tests of reading in Octave plots, annotating them, and
saving the result as PDF.  It seemed to work well.

This can be used as is to provide TeX annotations of Octave plots,
but it may also be possible to use the pdftex processing part called
from within Octave.  As far as I can tell so far it does not use OpenGL.
On Linux, at least, it uses X11.

For the time being, it may be a good choice to just include in the plotting
chapter a description of how to use scribus to annotate plots.

For Fedora users, yum install scribus  is all you need to get started.
It appears to be widely available for other platforms.

Comments?

Michael