Re: Logos proposal

From: Fotios Kasolis
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:43:03 +0200

On Jun 28, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Ben Barrowes wrote:

On Friday 25 June 2010 09:06:15 Fotios Kasolis wrote:
On Jun 25, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Ben Barrowes wrote:
Fotios,

I realize I didn't send cc this to you. Any thoughts on this logo? I had
to use a ps file for the OC part.

Any what about jwe's signature E as the final E?

bb

From: Ben Barrowes <address@hidden>
Date: June 21, 2010 4:23:52 PM GMT+02:00
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden

On Thursday 17 June 2010 09:01:40 Ben Barrowes wrote:
On Wednesday 16 June 2010 16:27:56 Judd Storrs wrote:
IMHO the first one that Fotios posted in the white on black logos
seems to have the best sense of space and the use of bold feels
balanced (although there are some small kernings that could help... I
feel like I want to separate the O and the C by a fraction of a hair).
It also seems to be eminently readable without an advanced degree even
though the T is disturbed and \forall was used as an upside down A. To
me, the set-looking \mathbb{O} could be construed to resonate with the
oft mentioned idea that Octave is a superset language, \forall seems
to be a statement of inclusiveness or target audience, and the
\nu-looking V could be interpreted as a hint at the presence of the
GNU project. Just my 2c.

--judd

It would be nice to keep the \infty somehow, possibly in the background.
However, notice that the combination of O anc C almost comprise an
infinity symbol. Any way to combine them enough to result in a dual
purpose combination? To be read both as OC and as an \infty depending on
how you look at it. It also helps that the super T sets of the OC before
it already.

FWIW, I like the forall, making sense to both those who know what it
means and those who don't but can still see it is meant to stand for an
A.

The e is the last letter to have a special purpose. Eaton comes to mind.
Any way to make an attribution here?

Here is an example using a figure for the \infty.

\includegraphics[width=.4cm,height=.27cm]{infonly_c1}$\hspace{-0.02cm}^{\
text{\footnotesize
T}}\hspace{-0.02cm}\bm{\forall}\mathcal{V}\hspace{-0.04cm}\mathcal{E}$

<logo_stuff_con.png><infonly_c1.ps>

I saw and already did it (do not have it but if people like yours i can do
it in 1 hour at most) BUT i fixed the infty through vector program instead
of latex so that i can really make it the way you want it ;D.

What about small caps rotated by -pi/2      "A T O N +"  next to E

Other idea could be

Make an oriented artistic line that jumps from E to A to T to O (the
already existing letters of the word octave) and points to a last N
somewhere?

/Fotios

I would really like to see the version you mention with a \infty cut out. And with the underline
like we had before (the B+W version).

Both of the ways you mention to make an attribution to Eaton seem to me to make things too busy,
i.e. too many lines... at least when I try to imagine what you describe. Maybe we could just leave
it as a script "E" in some font, maybe a little taller than the \forall and v. That would stand it
out a bit and we could drop in an "E" more like jwe's signature "E" at any time.

/Fotios