Re: Logo feedback

From: GFotios
Subject: Re: Logo feedback
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:03:29 +0200

On Jul 8, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Ben Barrowes wrote:

On Sunday 04 July 2010 10:38:45 Fotios Kasolis wrote:
On Jul 4, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Robert T. Short wrote:
Søren Hauberg wrote:
søn, 04 07 2010 kl. 01:08 +0200, skrev Fotios Kasolis:
Should i work on that or you find it unnecessary?

Personally, I find this suggestion much better than the LaTeX ones (they look too much like something that was "just" generated in LaTeX to be a logo IMHO). I still prefer the more "graphical" logo suggestions; the
one with infinity inside a light-blue circle (with the lower right
corner removed) is my favourite. Perhaps the infinity part should be
replaced with the "OC" combination?

Søren

P.S. I really appreciate your enthusiasm; listening to all the different
opinions must be frustrating at times :-)

I agree. This last one was cool, but I, too, like the graphical ones.

This has been interesting, but maybe it is time to just DO something?

Bob

I absolutely agree, it is time to do something, this could go on for ever. I think we have enough material part is bad part is good, lets decide! Then i check the details of the design for pixel fix (in case there is sth bad)
and that is all.

I ll also prepare a very brief (max 1page) visual id (after deciding the
logo).

PS. Even if we choose a more graphical logo like Soren said, there must be
a specific way for writing octave. Look how wolfram has done that
http://media.wolfram.com/logos/ That is exactly what i was thinking.

/Fotios

Soren's idea of the OC in the blue circle seems like a good idea, but my preference is for a little more mathy logo... there is no math in the circle logo aside from the \infty. And I also think we need a way to write octave. We have several ideas going, but who is going to make this decision in
the end? It would be nice to have some guidance on this.

OC only is fine for both application icon and logo, overloading logos is the worst thing you can do (1)how are you gonna scale down sth that has a lot of visual info 2)find the most attractive icon on your machine how does it look?). It is clever to keep it "clear and simple". After all you say what you want to say and that is the important part of a logo (IMO). Regarding the decision... that seems to be an open problem! ;D

/Fotios