Re: fltk printing [PDF problems]

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: fltk printing [PDF problems]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:56:02 +0300

2010/8/10 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>:
> On Aug 9, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> 2010/8/9 bpabbott <address@hidden>:
>>> Regarding the surface plot, it is a vector plot.
>>
>> Is it really? I thought that with some shading effects and some weird
>> camera angles, it was effectively a bitmap.
>
> I'm certain that a pdf or eps file may contain bitmaps. However, the GL2PS
> output is for "surf (peaks)" is vector.
>
> Ben

I'm far from being an expert on the subject, However:
PDF supports embedded bitmaps in JPG and TIFF format, so they can be
quite efficient for images.
PS supports bitmaps, but with no compression. OTOH PS is a full
fledged programming language, so you can always embed a JPG image
together with the decoding algorithm (I've seen it done for simpler
image compression).

GL2PS produces vector images for everything  except for explicit
bitmaps (i.e. created with the image command)

Shai