Re: Undocumented internal function

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Undocumented internal function
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:00:43 -0500

2010/9/1 Soren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> In C++ you have 'public' and 'private' functions in classes. This is
> essentially to ensure that the user of a class don't mess around with
> things that shouldn't be messed with. Do you consider it disrespectful
> to users to use the 'private' keyword in C++? :-)

I've used C++ for many years, and I've personally never thought to
myself, "boy am I glad that variable was private, or I could have done
done something wrong!" Python and other languages get along fine
without explicitly private members, only private by naming convention.

But that's a different debate. I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be
private members. I'm arguing that refusing to give information about
them because users and potential developers could misuse that
information is silly.