Re: dataframe dereferencing

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: dataframe dereferencing
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 06:29:35 -0700 (PDT)

I'm at a conference, so less time to check developments.

Judd and Jaroslav, could you propose syntax for the following operations:
1) sub-ref, returning a cell array without headers
2) sub-ref, returning a cell array with rows and columns header, which can
be converted back into a dataframe
3) sub-ref, returning a dataframe object (by default, if all columns are
numeric, return a matrix)
4) sub-ref, casting inhomogenous columns to the same type (by default,
downclass numerical outputs and vertcat() them)

The constraint is that the row, column and type conversion data may not be
separated, otherwise chaining rule is broken, that is assign the
intermediate value to some variable, and perform the next operation on it.

In the first version, I used df(row_range, column_range, "dataframe") to get
back a dataframe object. I switched to df(row, column).dataframe, then to
df.dataframe(rows, columns). So all I have to do is to revive the adequate
code from the version management system.

Regards

Pascal