Re: Octave's m4/acx_pthread.m4 & OSX

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave's m4/acx_pthread.m4 & OSX
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:30:10 -0400

On Sep 6, 2010, at 7:27 AM, Jarno Rajahalme wrote:

> Octave maintainers,
>
> Now that the gnulib dirfd issue is solved, the m4/acx_pthread.m4 istributed
> with Octave represents the only issue preventing compilation of the
> development branch without local changes to the octave files.
>
> I don't know what is the policy regarding the m4 file modifications, but when
> compiling with GCC 4.5 in OSX (10.6), the following change is needed in
> acx_pthread.m4:
>
> *** m4/acx_pthread.m4~        Fri Sep  3 17:47:09 2010
> --- m4/acx_pthread.m4 Fri Sep  3 20:19:45 2010
> ***************
> *** 149,154 ****
> --- 149,158 ----
>
>           acx_pthread_flags="-pthreads pthread -mt -pthread
> $acx_pthread_flags"
>           ;;
> +
> +     *-darwin*)
> +     acx_pthread_flags="-pthread"
> +     ;;
>   esac
>
>   if test x"$acx_pthread_ok" = xno; then
>

> Without this change the _REENTRANT preprocessor symbol does not get defined,
> and consequently some of the math functions (e.g. lgamma_r in
> /usr/include/architecture/i386/math.h) are dropped out, which makes Octave
> compile fail.
>
> Other parts of the same file already contain some darwin dependencies.
>
> Ben Abbott wrote earlier:
>
> "The change to acx_pthread.m4 is from Thomas Triechl and resolves the
> _REENTRANT error on MacOS X."
>
> Is it possible to get this change into the octave distribution of
> acx_pthread.m4, so that this bug would not reappear with every new version of
> Octave?
>
> With regards,
>
>   Jarno Rajahalme

I understand the patch is needed for MacOS 10.6, but what of the early versions?

Thomas / anyone else, can you comment. Is the patch needed for ealier versions
of MacOS?

Also does anyone understand how the ACX_PTHREAD macro can be modified to detect
the need for the -pthread option?

For the details for why the patch is needed on MacOS 10.6, see the link below.

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2010-January/010241.html

Ben