Question about graphics units updating

From: David Bateman
Subject: Question about graphics units updating
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 03:32:38 +0200

I've been addressing the bug report #30519 as it is necessary to have the legend code working correctly. I started implementing a fix where the position, outerposition, etc values are stored in a particular unit and the get_position, set_position, etc function handles the conversion to the desired units. As I started with the axes and worked down to the root_figure class while implementing this, I didn't notice that the root windows screensize property is already treated, but it instead calls the update_units() method in the set_units() method to natively store the value in the desired units. So that the get_position, set_position, etc methods don't need to be modified.

Whether one method is better than the other seems to me more a question of taste, and I have essentially all the other unit conversion functions written. However I find it displeasing to use two different techniques to perform the same manipulation of the graphics properties. Is there any reason to pick one method over the other? If so, which? If we can accept that there are two different means of performing this functionality depending on the graphics call then I'm almost ready to push a changeset.

D.