Re: wait_for_file ?? [print via pipes - 2nd attempt]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: wait_for_file ?? [print via pipes - 2nd attempt]
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:22:40 -0400

On Sep 12, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> I've attached a changeset to be applied to the current tip.
>
> Printing via GL2PS is done by directly writing to a file, or by writing to a
> pipe to a pipeline of system commands. Which may include gs, pstoedit, and
> fig2dev.
>
> Printing via Gnuplot, is done by writing to a file and then using a single
> system command to handle the conversion to other formats. That system command
> is also a pipeline which may include gs, pstoedit, and fig2dev.
>
> The pipeline of commands may also cleanup any temporary files that were
> created. This is done by appending "; rm <tmpnam>" to the end of the
> pipeline. For a DOS command shell, "& delete <tmpnam>" is used.
>
> I've attached a test function, test_printing(), that will output most
> supported formats. For "ps" and "pdf" output the script attempts to append a
> second page to the output. The appending works for me from the command line,
> but does not work correctly when the test_printing() function is run. It
> looks like a timing problem to me.
>
> When I run the "test_printing()" I see the following output ...
>
> octave:1> test_printing
> backend is gnuplot
> print gnuplot-corel -dcorel
> print gnuplot-dxf -ddxf
> print gnuplot-eepic -deepic
> print gnuplot-emf -demf
> print gnuplot-epsc -depsc
> print gnuplot-epslatexstandalone -depslatexstandalone
> print gnuplot-gif -dgif
> Could not find/open font when opening font 12, trying default
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string -1 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string -0.5 with
> font Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 0 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 0.5 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 1 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 0 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 2 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 4 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 6 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 8 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string 10 with font
> Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string Amplitude
> with font Helvetica
> gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string Triginometric
> [...]

I've made a second attempt. The "GL2PS error: Bad file pointer" errors are gone
for me. However, the test script sometimes hangs when printing jpeg output for
the FLTK backend.

The test script has been improved to detect when gnuplot terminals are not
present. If you don't have pstoedit and fig2dev installed errors will result
when printing to formats that require them (only for FLTK).

Ben