texi2dvi fails in faq

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: texi2dvi fails in faq
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:34:22 -0700

I just encountered a problem with the current build:

When the build gets to texi2dvi OctaveFAQ.texi
it fails as:
[qss:faq] texi2dvi OctaveFAQ.texi
egrep: Invalid range end

Running the command separately also fails as above.

As far as I could establish, nothing has been changed in OctaveFAQ.texi
since 2009.  So, I looked at updates of texi2dvi (this has been a
problem since the new packaging of texlive has managed to lose it).
But, the problem is not with texi2dvi. It references egrep as it has
before.  And, the current texi2dvi processes OctaveFAQ.texi correctly
when run on a system with the old egrep/grep. So, the problem is due
to the new egrep in recent Fedora systems.  Until fairly recently egrep
was just a link to grep.
But, this has been changed.  Now egrep is a separate program.
It is not clear what action is likely to succeed:  report this as an egrep
error, or a texi2dvi error, or modify OctaveFAQ.texi to avoid the problem.
Reporting this as an egrep error would seem best.  Does someone
know how to do this?

In any case, this will prevent error-free full builds on Fedora systems
and others that use the new egrep.

For now, make -i  is a workaround.

Michael