Re: texi2dvi fails in faq

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: texi2dvi fails in faq
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 07:31:44 -0700

On 09/15/2010 01:13 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 14-Sep-2010, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| I made one more step:
| This from the faq processing after fixing the egrep problem:

BTW, the egrep problem in texi2dvi was fixed in the texinfo sources on
savannah on Feb 9 2010:

  http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/texinfo/util/texi2dvi?root=texinfo&r1=1.157&r2=1.158

jwe
Right.  An important part of this problem is that it is not possible,
using texlive-2010 and the standard yum method to install a current texi2dvi.
I hope that this will get fixed eventually.
Do you mean in the Octave doc/faq/Makefile?  If so, that line is put
there by automake/autoconf/configure.  I guess your system has a copy of
grep in /usr/local/bin, and /usr/local/bin is ahead of /usr/bin or
/bin in your path?  But I'm not sure why the autotools prefer to use
"grep -E" instead of egrep.

jwe
Yes, this is in the doc/faq/Makefile.  It is possible that the new grep
still supports this, but it should really be changed to just point to egrep.

It was obviously a mistake to try to use the current texlive while it still has
many problems.  But, it also has some useful enhancements.  I will
watch for the corrections which will allow a normal install of the latest
texlive.

Michael