Re: Bugs involving imread, imwrite, and GraphicsMagick

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Bugs involving imread, imwrite, and GraphicsMagick
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:20:22 -0400

On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 20 September 2010 19:30, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> This will at least allow the Octave package maintainers for
>> Debian/Ubuntu
>
> Just to clarify, I don't believe there are any Ubuntu Octave packagers
> at all (and if there are, then we need to communicate with them more).
> The brunt of Debian packaging right now is done by a single person,
> Thomas Weber. A few people and I help out a little, but it's probably
> at least 95% Thomas, just like before him it was almost all Rafael
> Laboissiere. The Ubuntu Octave packages are taken without modification
> from Debian, unless this has changed recently while I wasn't looking.
>
> I'm not trying to be divisive here, it's just that I think it's
> important to look at how many people are involved and to what degree.
> Also, Ubuntu and Debian share an important symbiosis, but I think it's
> important to be explicit about their many, many differences, just like
> I think it's important to separate C and C++ instead of talking about
> "C/C++".
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I guess that was kindof my point.  We, as the Octave community, don't have much
control over what the GraphicsMagick maintainers do.  We can ask nicely and sit
and wait for them to change a configure flag in the GraphicsMagick package
builds.  On the other hand, we can easily ask Thomas Weber to add a
"--with-magick=ImageMagick" to the Debian/Ubuntu package builds and have a
great likelihood of it happening pretty quickly.  Even one of us could make a
patch to the Debian package files so all he has to do is make it effective for
the next package release.

John Swensen