Re: Bugs involving imread, imwrite, and GraphicsMagick

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Bugs involving imread, imwrite, and GraphicsMagick
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:25:17 -0400

On Sep 20, 2010, at 11:48 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 20-Sep-2010, John Swensen wrote:
>
> | I guess that was kindof my point.  We, as the Octave community,
> | don't have much control over what the GraphicsMagick maintainers do.
> | We can ask nicely and sit and wait for them to change a configure
> | flag in the GraphicsMagick package builds.  On the other hand, we
> | can easily ask Thomas Weber to add a "--with-magick=ImageMagick" to
> | the Debian/Ubuntu package builds and have a great likelihood of it
> | happening pretty quickly.  Even one of us could make a patch to the
> | Debian package files so all he has to do is make it effective for
> | the next package release.
>
> If it is just a simple matter of different library/header file names
> and no other code changes to enable using either GraphicsMagick or
> ImageMagick, then let's do that part first.  If you have diffs (even
> incomplete) at this point, send them to me and I'll do the configure
> script hacking.
>
> jwe

Included is a patchset that modifies configure.ac to add the functionality.  I
was able to configure Octave with

./configure <OSX specific configure options>
./configure --with-magick=GraphicsMagick <OSX specific configure options>
./configure --with-magick=ImageMagick <OSX specific configure options>

and have it compile and work fine.  The first two configure lines above used
GraphicsMagick and the third used ImageMagick, as desired.  That being said, I
have only tested it on OSX, but don't see any hangups for other platforms as it
uses pkg-config to find libraries and retrieve compiler and linker flags.

John Swensen