Octave on Reddit

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Octave on Reddit
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 04:01:12 -0500

It seems a popular news site has picked up Octave's homepage:

http://www.reddit.com/r/math/comments/dk61b/free_alternative_to_matlab_check_octave_out/

A few months ago, something similar happened:

http://www.reddit.com/r/math/comments/c3pqb/ever_wished_you_had_a_matlab_license_octave_is/

It's really sad to read the comments, though. Many suggest to use
other things instead of Octave, and many others say that Octave is
irreparably inferior as compared to Matlab. The consistent criticisms
seem to be that plotting is bad, that functions are slow, and that
features are missing as compared to Matlab, e.g. toolboxes. Only one
person seems to be complaining about lack of Simulink, which I recall
was a more frequent complaint earlier, and I haven't heard it
recently. A couple suggest that Octave is only suitable for homework
problems, not "real" work, and that it's better to get Matlab by
infringing its copyright.

I guess we can think of these as "growth opportunities". I hope that
the general perception of Octave is better than what this sample of
opinions shows.

Oh well.

     Chantez compagnons, dans la nuit la liberté vous écoute
     Motivés, motivés
     Il faut rester motivés!
     Motivés, motivés
     Il faut se motiver!