Re: Octave on Reddit

From: Jake
Subject: Re: Octave on Reddit
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:47:56 -0400

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Python related comments; these are just
Python fanboys bragging about how much better Python is than every other
language and piece of software on the planet.  On a personal note, I'm pretty
sure all their comments about speed are moot based on the fact that NumPy's
sqrt function is twice as slow as using Python's built in ** exponent operator.

Back on topic though, this is kind of what I was talking about when I mentioned
the lack of (built-in) odexx functions.  Though there is lsode, I think the
typical person who starts with MATLAB gives Octave a chance until they notice
that a few essential functions are missing.  I'm not talking about MATLAB's
toolboxes necessarily, but rather a few spoils that MATLAB provides while
Octave does not.

I was particularly surprised recently that Octave does not have LTI functions
built-in (ss, tf, step, impulse, etc.)

-Jake