Re: Octave on Reddit

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Octave on Reddit
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:07:59 -0400

2010/9/29 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> It's really sad to read the comments, though. Many suggest to use
> other things instead of Octave, and many others say that Octave is
> irreparably inferior as compared to Matlab.

I think it's probably relevant that many commenters seem to be
responding to a first exposure to Octave on Windows, which IMHO, does
suck. But, I doubt there's much that can be done about that given that
octave is stuck between a FSF/Microsoft turf war and can't use the
native development platform. Personally, my feeling is that octave on
windows is easily tolerated by people already exposed to *nix--but
there are very many windows users that have not been previously
exposed to *nix.

--judd