Re: Equalis Octave group

From: Dave Barnes
Subject: Re: Equalis Octave group
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 00:05:12 -0700

2010/10/7 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> tor, 07 10 2010 kl. 12:06 -0500, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>> On 7 October 2010 03:08, Dave Barnes <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Equalis (www.Equalis.com) has opened a group dedicated to GNU Octave.
>> [snip]
>> > Any thoughts are appreciated.
>>
>> This may be a good opportunity to use the new Octave logo Fotios is
>> using and everyone seems to like.
>
> While I like the logo, I don't think it should be used until a decision
> has been made.
>
> Just my to ører,
> Søren

I'm in agreement with Søren on the logo. I think it's best to wait
till a decisions is made on adoption though I too like what Fotios
posted.

w.r.t. competition, I would hope the spaces could complement one
another. Are you gearing towards developer support? The Equalis focus
for open source software is on the end users: how-to's, getting up and
running, etc.

If you register (free/pretty painless) you can get into the user and
group spaces and see what features are available. Standard social
network stuff, but quite a few options.

Without registration the common forums
(http://www.equalis.com/forums/) are visible. There are spaces for
Scilab, Octave, R, and Sage, and others devoted to topics in
mathematics and engineering. The Scilab forum by far is the most
active, as Equalis has been working closely with their development
team.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on competing vs. complementing for
Equalis and Agora Octave. Also, if you have a chance to visit the
site, any ideas on utilization of the features there to
promote/support Octave would be of interest.

dave