Can't compile Octave source on Snow Leopard

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Can't compile Octave source on Snow Leopard
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 21:17:33 -0400

On 16-Oct-2010, John Helly wrote:

| Hi.
|
| It seems that I can't compile the source code since:

| checking how to get verbose linking output from gfortran... -v
| checking for Fortran 77 libraries of gfortran...
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin9.1.0/4.2.2
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin9.1.0/4.2.2/../../.. -lm -lgfortranbegin
-lgfortran
| checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
| checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown
| configure: WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme
| configure: defining FFLAGS to be -O
| checking whether gfortran generates correct size integers... no
| configure: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers
the same size as octave_idx_type (int).  See the file INSTALL for more
information.

| I have a binary download running but it doesn't include textread and after
obtaining the io package I assume I have to be able to compile the whole system
from scratch since it looks like the io package wants the development
environment of octave to compile.

| Does anyone know how to work around the Fortran problem on Snow Leopard?

What options did you pass to configure?