Re: Open Letter to Octave Community

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Open Letter to Octave Community
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:35:06 -0400

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Carmine Napolitano <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1) We are
> absolutely committed to allowing open source communities to retain all
> rights embodied in the license agreements under which they are distributed.

The accusation is that the TOS reserves additional rights for Equalis
beyond what the community has. Do the restrictions of the GPL apply to
all uses of submitted work *by*Equalis*? I will not consider sharing
any of me personal information with you in order to register for an
Equalis account before this is answered (actually, I also think it is
ridiculous to require registration in order to even view the content
of the site and may still chose not to register. Even requiring
registration to download code violates the GPL, if I recall
correctly--registration must be optional). Does Equalis have the legal
right (whether or not it is your intention to exercise this right) to
relicense GPL code that is submitted by users? If not, please point me
to relevant paragraphs of the Terms of Service. Or perhaps you could
ask the FSF to evaluate and endorse your TOS. I will defer to them.

> As we all know, some “open source” licenses are more open than others.

All open source licenses must conform to the open source definition
and are all equally "open". Likewise, all free software conforms to
the Free Software Foundation's free software definition. Some licenses
are more permissive than others but that has nothing to do with
openness.

--judd