Re: Open Letter to Octave Community

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Open Letter to Octave Community
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:14:44 -0400

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Carmine Napolitano <address@hidden> wrote:
> Are you asking whether Equalis claims the right to relicense GPL code
> submitted by other users under some other license other than GPL?

Yes, this is my question. My concern relates to this passage of the
Terms of Use in the "Material You Submit" section:

"by submitting User Submissions to this Site, and unless we indicate
otherwise, you grant Equalis and its affiliates a nonexclusive,
royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and fully sub-licensable right to
use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative
works from, distribute and display such User Submissions throughout
the world in any media now known or hereafter invented."

The sticking point for me is the meaning of "fully sub-licensable",
which at face value seems to not be compatible with the GPL. The GPL
places certain important restrictions and obligations on conveyance
and on creation of derivative works. In that light, "fully
sub-licensable" seems to remove these obligations and restrictions
from Equalis and its affiliates?

--judd