Proposing a change to linestyle FIXME

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Proposing a change to linestyle FIXME
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:51:14 -0400

On  2-Nov-2010, Jarno Rajahalme wrote:

| I was unable to print plots with solid lines. A simple plot with two line
objects, each set to linestyle "-", would print with one line solid, other
dashed. Even the "whiskers" in the errorbars were printing as various dashed
lines, when including multiple errorbars on the same plot.!

| Using hours to dig up the cause I found this in __go_draw_axes__.m
|
|     ## FIXME -- linetype is currently broken, since it disables the
|     ## gnuplot default dashed and solid linestyles with the only
|     ## benefit of being able to specify '--' and get a single sized
|     ## dashed line of identical dash pattern for all called this way.
|     ## All dash patterns are a subset of "with lines" and none of the
|     ## lt specifications will correctly propagate into the x11 terminal
|     ## or the print command.   Therefore, it is currently disabled in
|     ## order to allow print (..., "-dashed") etc. to work correctly.
|
|     ##    if (! isempty (lt))
|     ##      fprintf (plot_stream, " linetype %s", lt);
|     ##    endif

The current __go_draw_axes__ function does not contain this comment,
so maybe the problem has already been fixed?

What version of Octave and gnuplot are you using?  If I print an
errorbar plot with the current Octave sources and gnuplot 4.4.0, I get
solid lines by default with the -deps option to the print command.
With the -dashed option added, I see dashed lines.  Without it, I see
solid lines.

It's fine to post suggestions to this list, but it would be best if
you are using the current developers sources since that's what we are
working on.

If you use the current sources and the problem is not fixed, then
please file a bug report in the bug tracker that includes enough
information to reproduce exactly what you are doing.