Amended versions [WAS: Re: savevtk]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Amended versions [WAS: Re: savevtk]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:45:22 +0100

Nov. 17, 2010 Levente Torok wrote:
Dear Philip, Carlo and octave-dev,

I had a chance to polish things according to your commands.
However I have a few questions.

A while later, Levente Torok wrote:
<snip>

> I don't fix myself to ML compatibility at all.
> IO package will be just fine place to have these functions but
> according to our concept FPL would be even more appropriate.
> So if you can adjust it to the standards I would be with happy with this.

Hi Levente,

I went through your functions, they look very good. Thank you very much!

Yet I added and changed a few things. Please check if you find this acceptable. See below... Carlo, if Levente agrees with my fixes/additions, will you put them in fpl pkg or shall I do it?

But first, a question to Levente:
(I know nothing about vtk, so apologies if this is a stupid question)

The array X in the example in savevtk's texinfo header is a real array, yet the .vtk file that is produced only contains integer values (as the fprintf statements invoke %d format specifiers rather than %f).
Is that intended?

savevtk:
========
- Fixed texinfo
- Added "See also" (savevtkvector)
- Fixed small typo (adoptatoin)
- Added a return value to the function statement (so one can test in scripts if savevtk did its job OK). If you don't want to see "ans = 1" you need to put a semicolon after the savevtk() statement. - Added a default filename "vtkout.vtk". Just remove the '=vtkout.vtk' if you don't like this - Added basic input argument checking (incl. filename type - should be character)
- Added a try-catch around the fprintf statements to catch disk full errors
- and you don't need to count dimensions yourself, Octave has a function for that: ndims()
- Minor style changes (spaces etc).

savevtkvector
=============
- Fixed texinfo
- Added "See also" (savevtkvector)
- Fixed small typo (adoptatoin)
- Added a return value to the function statement (so one can test in scripts if savevtk did its job OK) - Added a default filename "vtkvectorout.vtk". Just remove the '=vtkvectorout.vtk' if you don't like this
- Added basic input argument checking
- Added a try-catch around the fprintf statements to catch disk full errors
- I had to replace wrong accents (a.o., ASCII 226, skewed) with ' (straight) in almost all fprintf statements - this may be caused by editing witha word processor rather than a program editor
- Minor style changes (spaces etc).

See attached files.

Please tell us if you're OK with the changes.

Philip