Re: Octave 3.3.54 snapshot available for ftp

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: Octave 3.3.54 snapshot available for ftp
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:29:16 +0100

> I checked in a couple of changes that should help when compiling with
> --enable-64.  I'm also attaching a draft of the info you will need for
> building a mostly functional version of Octave with this option.  Note
> the advice about -fdefault-integer-8.  You need to set that in
> F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG and not FFLAGS.  Otherwise, the files in
> libcruft/ranlib will be ing.  Although there is code in
> configure.ac that attempts to move -fdefault-integer-8 from FFLAGS
> to F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG, it does not seem to be working correctly for me
> now.  Help debugging that problem would be welcome...
>
> Help improving the attached document would also be welcome.  I suppose
> it should go in the manual now, but I have not had time to convert it
> to Texinfo.
>
> Also, are you sure you need --enable-64?  Are you working with arrays
> that contain more than 2^31 elements?  For double precision arrays,
> that is 16GB.  How much memory does your MacBook have?
>
> jwe

I tried the development sources and the sparse stuff builds now.
However, I get this error:

<snip>

Making all in interpreter
make[3]: Entering directory
`/root/software/octave/hg/octave/doc/interpreter'
../../run-octave -f -q -H -p . --eval "geometryimages ('inpolygon', 'eps');"
  Generator number out of range in SETCGN: Legal range is 1
to                    32  -- ABORT!
error: geometryimages:  Generator number out of range in SETCGN
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'octave_execution_exception'
panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
make[3]: *** [inpolygon.eps] Aborted
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/software/octave/hg/octave/doc/interpreter'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/software/octave/hg/octave/doc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/software/octave/hg/octave'
make: *** [all] Error 2

It seems to be some problem with generating random numbers:

fl-mac octave # ./run-octave
GNU Octave, version 3.3.54+
Copyright (C) 2010 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> a = randn(1,1)
  Generator number out of range in SETCGN: Legal range is 1
to                    32  -- ABORT!
error:  Generator number out of range in SETCGN
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'octave_execution_exception'
panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
Aborted

/Fredrik