Re: Octave 3.3.54 snapshot available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.3.54 snapshot available for ftp
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:33:42 -0500

On 22-Nov-2010, Fredrik Lingvall wrote:

| It seems to be some problem with generating random numbers:
|
| fl-mac octave # ./run-octave
| GNU Octave, version 3.3.54+
| Copyright (C) 2010 John W. Eaton and others.
| This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
| There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
| FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.
|
| Octave was configured for "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".
|
| Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
|
| Please contribute if you find this software useful.
| For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
|
| Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
|
| For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
|
| octave:1> a = randn(1,1)
|   Generator number out of range in SETCGN: Legal range is 1
| to                    32  -- ABORT!
| error:  Generator number out of range in SETCGN
| terminate called after throwing an instance of 'octave_execution_exception'
| panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
| Aborted

>From my previous message:

  Note
  the advice about -fdefault-integer-8.  You need to set that in
  F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG and not FFLAGS.  Otherwise, the files in
  libcruft/ranlib will be ing.  Although there is code in
  configure.ac that attempts to move -fdefault-integer-8 from FFLAGS
  to F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG, it does not seem to be working correctly for me
  now.  Help debugging that problem would be welcome...

("ing" above is a mistake; it should say miscompiled) and from the
document that I attached to my last message:

  You must ensure that all Fortran sources except those in the
  libcruft/ranlib directory are compiled such that INTEGERS are 8-bytes
  wide.  If you are using gfortan, the configure script should
  automatically set the Makefile variable F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG to
  -fdefault-integer-8.  If you are using another compiler, you must set
  this variable yourself.  You should NOT set this flag in FFLAGS,
  otherwise the files in libcruft/ranlib will be miscompiled.