dataframe and ismatrix

From: CdeMills
Subject: dataframe and ismatrix
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:35:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
actually, a few functions from statistics/base choke on dataframe arguments
because they use 'ismatrix' to detect whether or not the argument is a
matrix. I can overload 'ismatrix' to return "true" if the dataframe can be
converted to a matrix, but I would like to know a bit more about its
working. As
ismatrix(3)
isvector(3)
isnumeric(3)
all returns "true", what is the exact test criterion behind those functions
?

Regards

Pascal