Re: Avoiding or speeding up full tree recompilations

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Avoiding or speeding up full tree recompilations
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:18:41 -0600

2010/12/13 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 13-Dec-2010, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | Whenever someone touches any build files, I think, a full tree
> | recompilation ensues. E.g. touching foo.mk in order to add some bar.m
> | seems to trigger this.

> If you think that the dependency information is incorrect,

Ok, having some CPU cycles to spare, I just decided to try a little
experiment. After finishing my previous build, I touched
src/OPERATORS/module.mk, and this did indeed ensue in a recompilation
of, as far as I can tell, everything under src/, perhaps a few other
things (sorry, didn't think of saving the log, oops). It didn't rerun
configure. I probably need to touch a build file in the top-level
directory for that to happen, but I don't want to risk another
full-tree recompilation today to try that out.

Anyways, is that a sure sign of incorrect dependency information?
Surely at worst only things under src/OPERATORS should have been
recompiled, not the full interpreter? If you agree, I'll make another
attempt to understand the build system and submit a patch.

- Jordi G. H.