Re: rpm packaging of octave packages

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: rpm packaging of octave packages
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:14:42 -0600

On 21 December 2010 16:50, Orion Poplawski <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm starting to take a look at creating a standard method of building rpms
> of octave packages for Fedora.  I'm starting with the old octave-forge
> package as a starting point.

Did you see these already?

http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-octave/octave-pkg-dev.git;a=tree;h=c93c63e13b6d75feabd5e11329474f5e06439625;hb=c93c63e13b6d75feabd5e11329474f5e06439625

I'm not sure how easily could you turn that into a .spec files... But
the overall structure of a Makefile with targets and is similar to the
targets of a .spec. It doesn't address your concerns about end users
mixing Octave's pkg function and the system package manager, though.
On Debian, if I call pkg uninstall on a Debian-installed 'Forge
package, pkg reports that the package I want to uninstall isn't
installed. This seems sort of ok to me.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.