Re: [OctDev] rpm packaging of octave packages

From: Orion Poplawski
Subject: Re: [OctDev] rpm packaging of octave packages
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:11:46 -0700

On 12/21/2010 5:01 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Perhaps no answer to your question but I can share some user experiences.

This (warning messages) is what I also see when I try to uninstall/install (renew/update) individual octave-forge packages in Mandriva (2010.1). Mandriva has made renewal/updating individual octave-forge packages a cumbersome process, with unexpected dependencies all over the place, perhaps due to the still "monolithic" character of its octave-forge rpm, and rpm and (octave's) pkg stepping onto each other's toes.

Hopefully you can make it much easier for Fedora users, up to the point that rpm isn't needed (or only needed for initial installation), i.e., so that just Octave's pkg command will do. (I'd prefer pkg over rpm in this case.) I think development of octave-forge packages proceeds more rapidly than rpm's can be built, tested & updated - if you automate building rpms from individual octave-forge packages this can be alleviated a bit. Thus either Q-control by Fedora will be hampered, or octave users will be withheld a bit from trying the newest octave-forge packages (in turn, hampering package development) if they must wait until tested rpms become available.

FYI, "pkg" has an option "forge" that will d/l & install octave-forge packages directly from octave.sf.net. Permissions (root) may interfere when packages go into /usr/[local/]share, but that's probably resolvable.

P.
I think the monolithic octave-forge package has proved to be too cumbersome. Individual packages should be easier to maintain. Updates to packages can be done quite quickly. However, nothing in the rpm octave package prevents anyone from using the pkg command directly, and is in fact probably the way to go for individual users. For managed environments though, it more convenient to install packages automatically via the distributions packaging methods.

- Orion