Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:10:27 +0100

Hi all,

I'm interested to apply for Google Summer of Code with Octave next year (provided there will be another GSoC and GNU is again accepted as mentoring organization, but I guess both will be true) and in general to look into contributing to Octave (although I don't know how much spare time I can spend on it outside of something like GSoC at the moment).

Octave seems interesting to me in particular since I both use it frequently (I've just finished Bachelor's courses in maths and physics and am now doing the respective graduate courses where I do a lot of the numerical / simulation programs in Octave since it is quite well suited for what I need to do there) and am also especially interested both in numerics aspects as well as computer language interpreter / compiler implementation. So far I did not dive into the Octave code (besides compiling it from source and using the C++ interface), but have already some experience with language implementation in general -- I did implement emacs lisp support partially in GNU Guile as another GSoC project two years ago (partially = core language except emacs/text editor specific stuff like buffer-local bindings) and am working on the gfortran front-end to GCC for three years now.

Ok, sorry so far for the off-topic description of myself. What I wanted to ask is whether there are some ideas for projects to work on that could fit for GSoC or in general something which is possibly not "fixing bugs" or doing a lot of "minor" improvements but seperate "new" things to work on and getting started. Of course, what came first to my mind when thinking about this, was JIT or a byte-code VM approach to speed up interpretation of loops and other stuff -- but from what I read on the mailing list archives, this is already a somewhat "well known" project and I understand that there are a lot of difficulties in particular because of the dynamic typing. Still, maybe there are currently some ideas or motivation to try something into that direction? Otherwise, I also read something about attempts to make use of multiple cores -- this sounds interesting, too, are the ongoing projects towards (or interest in) that? Some other things that would be useful for Octave and the user community?

Or possibly it would be best to try implementing some package for octave-forge which could provide some useful functionality? I don't have any idea here, but if there are some, I'd be happy to know and think about that!

Thanks a lot!  Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/