Re: README.gnuplot updates

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: README.gnuplot updates
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:33:08 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- Rik  wrote:

> 1/4/10
>
> Ben,
>
> Here is most of the current README.gnuplot:
> ---- Start ----
> Octave works best with gnuplot 4.2, which is available from
> http://www.gnuplot.info.
>
> Octave now sends data over the same pipe that is used to send commands
> to gnuplot.  While this avoids the problem of cluttering /tmp with
> data files, it is no longer possible to use the mouse to zoom in on
> plots.  This is a limitation of gnuplot, which is unable to zoom when
> the data it plots is not stored in a file.  Some work has been done to
> fix this problem in newer versions of gnuplot (> 4.2.2).  See for
> example, this thread
> ---- End  ----
>
> Two questions.  Should we be recommending version 4.4 now?  I seem to
> recall there were issues that affected 4.2.5 that weren't seen in the 4.4
> release.  Secondly, is the second paragraph necessary if we recommend 4.4?
>  I just tried using the middle mouse button to zoom and it worked fine.

Yes. Mouse zoom for 2d plot for octave is only possible gnuplot 4.4 and
4.5(cvs).

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/plot-orientation-feature-plot-filling-page-td1635594.html

The above bug seem to be fixed on development source.
Therefore it is recommended to use gnuplot 4.4 (Current latest official release
is 4.4.2) but not 4.2.

Regards

Tatsuro

Get the new Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Yahoo! JAPAN
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/ie8/