Profiler [was: Re: GUI [was: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Profiler [was: Re: GUI [was: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave]]
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 09:08:04 +0100

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 19:47 -0800, Thomas Yengst wrote:
> Not so much a GUI, but what Octave needs is a Workspace (in Matlab's
>  sense) that shows variables, dimensions, bytes, etc. Sure, one can
>  always type "whos", but that gets tiresome.
>
> I would also like to see functionality in the pkg command to check
>  whether each installed package is the most up to date. 'pkg list'
>  nicely shows what is installed. Has anyone thought of adding the
>  capability to do something akin to 'pkg update' whereby the current
>  installed version is compared with the latest on octave-forge.

I would like to add a profiler to the wishlist for Octave. Being able to
measure the time spent in different parts of a package enables you to
concentrate on the most time-consuming parts of your code, either by
rewriting the m-code, add C/C++ accelerators, etc. Don't know however
how much effort is needed to implement this functionality.

Svante