Re: Profiler [was: Re: GUI [was: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Profiler [was: Re: GUI [was: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave]]
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 09:25:36 +0100

Svante Signell wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 19:47 -0800, Thomas Yengst wrote:
Not so much a GUI, but what Octave needs is a Workspace (in Matlab's
 sense) that shows variables, dimensions, bytes, etc. Sure, one can
 always type "whos", but that gets tiresome.

I would also like to see functionality in the pkg command to check
 whether each installed package is the most up to date. 'pkg list'
 nicely shows what is installed. Has anyone thought of adding the
 capability to do something akin to 'pkg update' whereby the current
 installed version is compared with the latest on octave-forge.

I would like to add a profiler to the wishlist for Octave. Being able to
measure the time spent in different parts of a package enables you to
concentrate on the most time-consuming parts of your code, either by
rewriting the m-code, add C/C++ accelerators, etc. Don't know however
how much effort is needed to implement this functionality.

This is a very, very good point -- and something I already really missed some times! I think I found some efforts to implement a very simple statistical profiler some years ago on the internet once, but it seems there's currently no work being done or plans to implement one?

Are there any technical problems associated with it, or is it "simply not done yet"? At least to me, this really seems like both a (possibly) interesting as well as very useful project.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/