Re: GUI [was: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GUI [was: Re: Possible (summer of code) projects for Octave)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:43:46 -0600

On 6 January 2011 09:37, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's actually the point. I see more benefit to use a terminal widget
> in a GUI, so you can get full readline support without any effort
> (completion, history, keyboard shortcuts...), you don't have to
> re-invent the wheel...

Maybe we don't want this wheel. One of the reasons I find the Matlab
"GUI" so useless is that it's just a terminal with different fonts and
colours. People talk about how great it is to have a window always
open with the variables defined, but 95% of the time I don't care how
much memory I'm using, and when I do, I can type whos to find out.
People like the integrated and debugger editor as well, but all I
remember from using it back then was "it's not Emacs".

My point is that we should take this opportunity to create an actual
different interface, not wrap a terminal with "file edit help". Cantor
is working on a worksheet interface for Octave, although I haven't
kept up with their development. It's a worthwhile idea, though.

- Jordi G. H.