Re: Matlab euphemisms in manual

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Matlab euphemisms in manual
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 13:24:09 -0500

2011/1/8 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On  8-Jan-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | The manual has a few Matlab euphemisms like "alternative products to
> | Octave" in the A.2 appendix. I find euphemisms a little silly, as if
> | we were talking about Lord Voldemort or something. Can we remove them?
>
> Yes, but it is not necessary to replace each of these with "Matlab".
> Instead, each instance should be examined to decide whether it is even
> needed to mention Matlab at all.  I would say we only need to do that
> when discussing compatibility issues.

Also when mentioning Matlab, a smidgen of care is needed because
Matlab is a registered trademark.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Trademarks.html

Basically, strive to never refer to Matlab as a proper noun. It's best
to use phrasing such that Matlab qualifies another noun. For example,
the "The Matlab software does this or that" is preferred instead of
"Matlab does this or that".

--judd