Re: Axes Ticks Positioning in 3D plots (FLTK)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Axes Ticks Positioning in 3D plots (FLTK)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 19:29:27 -0600

On 9 January 2011 17:07, logari81 <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the attached patch I have modified the positioning of axes in 3D
> plots, in order to make it more compatible with ML.

Is this "compatibility"? I always thought of compatibility of just
making sure code written for Matlab also work in Octave, not so much
about superficial cosmetic differences. Will someone really complain
about how incompatible Octave is because it displays ticks at top
instead of bottom when you rotate to look at the bottom? I like how
the ticks without your patch are always jutting out. With your patch,
the ticks are either coming out of the screen or going into the screen
depending on the elevation from which you're looking at the figure.

On 9 January 2011 17:38, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> The axis box and grid lines appear to create a 3D cube whose
> contents are hidden. Thus the globe appears (to me) to be outside
> the axis limits.

You appear to be a victim of this:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necker_Cube

I agree with Ben here on what it appears to look like. I don't like
this Matlab behaviour. Having the ticks on top seems to give a sort of
visual cue that the figure is inside the cube, not on top of it.

Or it could be just a case of the spinning dancer, everyone sees it
one way and exactly one way only and can't agree with people who see
it the opposite way.

- Jordi G. H.