Re: Backspace in cursor motion documentation

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Backspace in cursor motion documentation
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:02:45 -0600

On 12 January 2011 11:40, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Second issue:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Cursor-Motion.html#Cursor-Motion
>>>
>>> says:
>>> <DEL>
>>>     Delete the character to the left of the cursor.
>>> C-d
>>>     Delete the character underneath the cursor.
>>>
>>> I think the first should be <BACKSPACE>. Anyway <DEL> deletes the
>>> character underneath the cursor...
> Yes, you are correct.  I made the change here:
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/0f14c093476e

I don't think this was the right fix. <DEL> doesn't mean "the key
labelled 'delete' on US-layout keyboards". It's an Emacsism found
elsewhere in GNU documentation that refers to an abstract key to which
your physical keys might be bound to.

I think it's better to explain what the notation means instead of
trying to redefine it differently in Octave clashing with other GNU
documentation:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/DEL-Does-Not-Delete.html