Re: branching for release?

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: branching for release?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:19:25 -0800

On 01/18/2011 06:58 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 18 January 2011 04:25, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> If we were to release today with the current sources, are there any
> mind blowingly obvious problems that will affect nearly everyone who
> runs Octave?
I really wish we could fix the fltk race condition before release.
It's about the only problem before we can promote fltk as a reasonable
default. Not saying that it should be the default yet, only that I do
think this bug is serious enough.

- Jordi G. H.
I agree that it would be very beneficial to have the printing timing
problem fixed. fltk as currently implemented provides a lot of useful
features.  I tried to find the timing problem quite a while ago, but ended
up hoping that Shai would have the time to fix it.  It is not a simple
problem. :-(

What I did was try to find a way to delay the failing file reference until
the file became available, but all the attempts clearly blocked the activity
that would create the file, which lead to deadlock.