Plans for branching for the release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Plans for branching for the release
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:59:21 -0500

I plan to do the following over the next day or so:

  * Merge the release-3-0-x and release-3-2-x release branches
    with the archive on savannah, as named branches.  I also plan to
    close them, since we are no longer maintaining them, but the point
    is that the branches will be there to preserve the history.

  * Branch for 3.4.  This branch will also exist as a named branch on
    savannah.  But after the branch is made, I ask that people
    continue to work on the default branch only, and let me know if
    there are patches made to teh default branch that should be
    considered for the release branch.  If I agree, then I'll
    transplant the changes.

Since the goal of the release branch is stability, I intend to
transplant bug fixes and documentation changes only.  Up until the
release, I will consider bug fixes that would introduce binary
incompatibility for .oct files.  After the release, we will stick to
changes that will preserve binary compatibility for .oct files, as we
have attempted to do for previous stable releases.

Comments?