Re: help with mercurial

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: help with mercurial
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:10:43 -0600

2011/1/20 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:

> I probably just don't get version control, but to me that doesn't
> seem to model what is actually going on, which is that when we make
> a release, there is actually a fork in the development.  At the end
> of a release series, that branch is essentially abandoned.  It
> doesn't make sense to me to continue with it once the release series
> is obsolete.

Oh, I see how you're thinking. You want a branch per stable release. I
was offering just one stable branch that gets tagged with release
numbers at the appropriate locations (those tags are already there in
the repository), and you use merges back and forth between stable and
development to keep the stable branch updated (or inactive, until
release time comes).

Your approach is fine. Perhaps even conceptually simpler since it
doesn't require merges.

- Jordi G. H.