Re: Freetype font warning

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Freetype font warning
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:22:32 +0100

Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2011, at 5:58 AM, logari81 <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> I think that freetype will be at some point in the future a prerequisite
>> for octave anyway, even when using gnuplot, just for estimating text
>> extents.
>>

> Good point.

This is what I tried with the legend code. Trying to estimate the text
extents with FreeType when for example gnuplot is using something else
(gd, etc) gives pretty poor results. This is why I ended up treating the
gnuplot legends  with the gnuplot legend functionality rather than using
an overlaid axis with appropriate line and text objects.

Kostas, if you figure out a way to get good text extents for gnuplot
I'll applaud and then go and make the gnuplot legend code much simpler.
However, I think it'll be really hard to get it right, and probably the
only way is to have gnuplot modified to supply the means to give them to us.

D.