Re: 3.3.90 snapshot compilation

From: Rik
Subject: Re: 3.3.90 snapshot compilation
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:01:57 -0800

> Even if you have been building Octave regularly from the Mercurial
> archive, it would help if you could build from the snapshot and report
> any problems.

It builds and passes all tests on Kubuntu 9.04, x86_64 architecture.

However, it really does build everything including the documentation.
Previously we had gone to some trouble to avoid unnecessarily building the
info, html, and pdf documentation because not all locations will have full
Texinfo installs.

The problem is that certain documentation strings are not static, but
depend on the configuration with which Octave is compiled.  The tripping
point for me was HDF5; I don't have the library installed so the
documentation string for "load" changed to inform me of that.  I found 5
instances where the documentation is not static:

HAVE_HDF5_HELP_STRING load-save.cc
HAVE_ZLIB_HELP_STRING load-save.cc
FFTSRC fft.cc
FFTSRC fft2.cc
FFTSRC fftn.cc

Perhaps it would be better to make the documentation fully static?  For
example, one can read the documentation on colamd without necessarily
having to have the libraries installed.  One gets a run-time warning if the
necessary libraries are missing rather than a compile-time warning embedded
in the documentation.

Cheers,
Rik