Re: README.MacOS

From: Jarno Rajahalme
Subject: Re: README.MacOS
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:56:52 +0200

I have been building Octave from sources on OSX using GCC 4.5. To avoid crashes
LDFLAGS needs to have the newer libstdc++ as the first file to be linked with,
like:

export LDFLAGS="/opt/local/lib/gcc45/libstdc++.6.dylib"

(Above before ./configure)

Without this Octave segfaults when compiled with newer-than-Apple GCC.

Also, Apple blas (vecLib) does not work with 64-bit gfortran (4.2, 4.3, 4.4,
nor 4.5). Complex functions obviously fail (and segment fault) without -ff2c
option, but then other non-complex routines return incorrect answers when -ff2c
is enabled, so that configure fails. So with 64-bit OSX you pretty much have to
use atlas and/or lapack.

Would information like this be of interest in README.MacOS?

 Jarno