Building on OSX without package managers

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Building on OSX without package managers
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:24:59 -0500

All,

My coworkers and I rely heavily on Octave.app from octave.sourceforge.net and I
am becoming concerned that it's not being actively maintained. I am willing to
take over the building of Octave.app from source but I'm having trouble with it
and I want to know what the state of the art is for compiling Octave on OSX.

I need a solution that doesn't require a third party package manager like Fink
or Macports at either compile or runtime. I don't mind installing compile-time
dependencies on one machine, but once I compile it I'd like to be able to
package it up and run it on other Macs (like the existing Octave.app). Can
Octave.app be built easily once Octave builds?

I've seen mention of a Readme.MacOS file on this board. Neither the current
stable or testing source distributions from
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html have this file included in
them although I found the one at
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/e0e50f48df37/README.MacOS and it
still says "TODO - add instructions" under "Building without a package manager".

I would very much like to be able to address variables larger than 2 GB on my
machine with >>2 GB of RAM, so at a bare minimum I'd like to be able to compile
Octave for myself with --enable-64.

Some nitpicks about what I've seen so far in trying to compile Octave from
source:
- Why shouldn't the included versions of autoconf, automake, readline, sed &c.
be sufficient for compiling Octave?
- I don't want Aquaterm to be the default, as X11 does just fine and is
installed by default on all new Macs, and Aquaterm at first glance hasn't been
maintained in about 5 years.
- The recommended Fortran compiler, which I already use for other things, gives
the first 'configure' error when I try to build Octave from source. It's a
different error wither or not I try --enable-64, but they're both about integer
size.

R Campbell