Re: Building on OSX without package managers

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building on OSX without package managers
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:23:03 -0500

On 25-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:

| Is there an issue with the fact that LONG is a different size with
| 32 and 64-bit binaries? Can we just use INTEGER*4 and INTEGER*8 in
| the code itself, depending on whether --enable-64 was specified, and
| decouple it from whether the compiler is trying to produce a 32- or
| 64-bit binary?

Octave uses a typedef in the C++ code for the integers used for
indexing arrays.  It is appropriately sized depending on the configure
option.

When we call proprietary libraries like veclib from C++ we have no
control over how they are built.  The method used by Octave works if
the calling conventions used by the libraries are consistent with what
gfortran uses (with or without the -ff2c option; we don't care, just
as long as they are consistent).

I don't see how INTEGER*4 or INTEGER*8 would help here.

One option for working around the problem with Apple's veclib in
64-bit mode is to build ATLAS and LAPACK and use them instead.  If you
don't need --enable-64, but want to compile with 64-bit pointers, that
should be relatively straight forward.  I don't know what is required
to build ATLAS with 8-byte integers for indexing.