Re: README.MacOS

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: README.MacOS
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:02:12 -0500

On Jan 24, 2011, at 9:30 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 7:52 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> I have been building Octave from sources on OSX using GCC 4.5. To avoid
>>> crashes LDFLAGS needs to have the newer libstdc++ as the first file to be
>>> linked with, like:
>>>
>>> export LDFLAGS="/opt/local/lib/gcc45/libstdc++.6.dylib"
>>>
>>> (Above before ./configure)
>>>
>>> Without this Octave segfaults when compiled with newer-than-Apple GCC.
>>>
>>> Also, Apple blas (vecLib) does not work with 64-bit gfortran (4.2, 4.3,
>>> 4.4, nor 4.5). Complex functions obviously fail (and segment fault) without
>>> -ff2c option, but then other non-complex routines return incorrect answers
>>> when -ff2c is enabled, so that configure fails. So with 64-bit OSX you
>>> pretty much have to use atlas and/or lapack.
>>>
>>> Would information like this be of interest in README.MacOS?
>>>
>>> Jarno
>>
>> I'll make these changes and post the result later today.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ben
>
> A modified version is attached.
>
> Ben
>
> <README.MacOS>

I've pushed a modified version of README.MacOS

        http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2ba904181687

The section on describing "Manual Package Management" is still empty. I was
pleased to see the several emails exchanged on this subject. Unfortunately, I
have been unable to keep up.

I encourage those who are building without Fink and MacPorts to propose
instructions that can be inserted into the current version. Changesets are
preferred, but I am happy to handle a diff as well.

We may wish to include 32bit and 64bit sections.

Thanks
Ben