Re: More on MinGW build

From: J. Luis
Subject: Re: More on MinGW build
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:02:45 +0000

Well, you'll have to do it. The beauty of free software is that you
*can* do it. It requires effort, no doubt, but it can be done.
And mingw is not that messy as it probably looks to you.
The distribution scheme the mingw project chose is IMO perfectly
suitable. There is a non-trivial activation energy required to get it
up&  running, but it pays back.

Thanks for the infos. I'll go back to it when  I have more time.
I know about free software and its tools. I just had very bad past experiences with MinGW where after a little, nothing really worked out of the box and I had to go find and build something else that was missing. The last time was yesterday with the examples I mentioned in first mail. And I DO contribute. If GMT will be available to use in Octave, a part of it is my work. If GDAL is going to usable, a big part of it is my work.