Re: Successful 32-bit built on OSX with only sed, fftw, and gfortran add

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: Successful 32-bit built on OSX with only sed, fftw, and gfortran added to vanilla Snow Leopard
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 21:23:10 +0000 (GMT)

On Jan 28, 2011, at 02:00 PM, Richard Campbell <address@hidden> wrote:

The README.MacOS file needs to be updated to reflect this MUCH smaller list of critical dependencies (I don't think fftw is even needed, but Octave wouldn't be very useful to me without it.)

- gfortran from r.research.att.com/tools
- gnu sed compiled and installed with --prefix=/usr
- fftw3 and fftw3f built as universal binaries (CFLAGS, FFLAGS, LDFLAGS all set to "-arch i686 -arch x86_64", configure with --disable-dependency-tracking)

- octave 3.3.54:
export CFLAGS="-m32"
export FFLAGS="-m32 -ff2c"
export CPPFLAGS="-m32 -D_REENTRANT"
export LDFLAGS="-m32"

./configure --disable-readline --disable-docs
make
./run-octave

I still get a cs-list error when I try to print:

octave:3> print('-dpng','test.png')
warning: print.m: ghostscript not found in EXEC_PATH.
warning: print.m: Ghostscript binary is not available.
warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
error: evaluating argument list element number 3
error: called from:
error: /Users/xnk/Downloads/octave-3.3.54/scripts/plot/print.m at line 377, column 9

I will attempt the 64-bit version with the wrapper described elsewhere, but once this cs-list problem is addressed I think this is ready to go in README.MacOS for 32-bit at least.

Campbell

Richard,

I was under the impression that automake must be >= 1.11.

What version of automake are you using? The one I have bundled is version 1.10.

$ /usr/bin/automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.10
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden>.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

I've cc'd John incase I have my facts wrong.

I've also attached a changeset which reflects your instructions. If it looks good to you, I can push it.

Ben